I wrote a post on this practice over a year ago with a gallery in Montreal (here):
That one looked like a steal compared to the terms on this pay-to-play group show: £2200 for a group show. Times must be tough…
Artspace-Galleries would like to invite you to take part in our upcoming group exhibitions in the hearts of Mayfair London and Paris. This presents a fantastic opportunity for you to move into the international market and to exhibit your artwork in two of the most significant art centers of the world.
The group exhibition includes all of the following:
- One week exhibition in London
- Two week exhibition in Paris
- One art opening in both London and Paris
- On-going promotion to our client list
- PR & Marketing of the exhibition
- Five year presence in the Events section of our website
- One year presence in the Buy/Sell section of our website
- Eligibility to be selected into the New & Emerging Artist Reward Program
- No gallery commission on artwork sales
Group exhibition guidelines:
- We are currently accepting registrations for group exhibitions in 2011 and 2012. We have a limited number of spaces available, so we urge you to register as soon as possible to ensure you will be able to exhibit.
- After you register your profile and submit five samples of your artwork online, Artspace-Galleries will determine if you would be suitable for a group exhibition.
- Once selected, we will organize and promote your group exhibition with direct mail & online marketing and targeted public relations. The total fee for these services is £2200, and we take no commission on the sale of your artwork.
- When you have registered and have been selected, you will be asked to pay a £500 deposit, which will be applied towards your total fee. This will reserve your space in the group exhibition, and we will start promoting your work on our website and to our client base. The remaining balance of your payment should be paid in full 8 weeks before your mutually agreed-upon exhibition date.
- Your group exhibition will bring together the works of six different artists, with each artist having the chance to exhibit up to six canvases or ten sculpture/installation pieces.
- We offer shipping of artwork from the artist to London, from London to Paris, and from Paris back to the artist for the following fees:
£600 to/from Africa, North & South America, Asia, Australia, or Oceania
£200 to/from Europe
(These rates are based on a maximum of 20 kg and no wider than 1.5m. You may provide your own shipping, however your artwork will have to be shipped from one city to another within two days.)
New & Emerging Artist Reward Program:
- At the end of the year, the jury of Artspace-Galleries consisting of art professionals, highly qualified art directors and curators will identify the six most outstanding group exhibition artists of the year.
- If chosen, you will be rewarded with one year of online promotion and a two week group exhibition in both London and Paris, free of charge, based on sales commissions of 50/50.
Submission and additional information:
- If you would like to take part, please go to www.artspace-galleries.com/registration
- For more information about Artspace-Galleries and the group exhibitions, please visit our website www.artspace-galleries.com or email firstname.lastname@example.org
We look forward to hearing from you,
Group Exhibition Consultant
Prestigious international art galleries In London Mayfair and Paris
Here’s the contract if you’re interested (here)